Buckles, Belt buckle
, Jess Buckles
is a comic strip
by David Gilbert about the misadventures of naïve dog (with bare feet
debuted on March 25, 1996.
King Feature's Syndicate: "More of an only child with canine instincts than he is the family pet. Buckles can display all the charm...of a small child discovering how to find his way through life."
Most of the storylines of the Buckles comic series involve moral issues within Buckles himself. Of course since he is a puppy
, issues are more to the point of whether or not to get in the garbage, roll in the mud, or chew up a valuable piece of clothing. One of Buckles' favorite things to chew up seems to be the remote control to the TV, often ending in a strict lecture from Paul (his owner). And of course most of his misadventures end either with a praise and a treat, or a quick "No! Bad Dog!"
* Paul and Jill, Buckles' owners
* Christina, Jill's niece who puts dresses on Buckles and makes him attend her tea parties
* Flea, an unseen but heard presence who lives behind Buckles' right ear
* Arden, a bird whom Buckles often asks for advice
* Lester, a dog who, because of hip dysplasia
, has sort of wheelchair
apparatus providing mobility instead of his hind legs
* Rusty, a streetwise stray whose freedom Buckles envies
* Scrappy, an annoying squirrel who lives in the backyard
* Irene, the love of Buckles' life who is a fire hydrant
* http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/buckles/about.htm Buckles at King Features
* http://www.bucklescomic.com Official web siteCategory:Comic strips started in the 1990s